It’s Friday! We hope you’re having a great week! We’ve been prepping for some family that’s visiting in the next week plus Halloween! Parker has been working on getting into character for his costume for quite a while now. He’s going to be a pirate! I’ve been told to swab the deck or walk the plank more times than I can count!
1. Books – There isn’t a much better way to relax than to curl up with a cup of good coffee and a book you can’t put down. I most recently finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and am getting ready to jump into Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. I love keeping a running list of books to read and am definitely open to suggestions if you have any!
2. Watching my kids learn new things – with Parker being school aged now and Peyton just about 10 months, they’re both learning things at a rapid rate. I love picking Parker up from school and listening to the new songs that he’s learning, or most recently about which of the five senses they learned about that day. Peyton has started crawling and is definitely taking a hands on approach to figuring out the world. She can usually be found clearing off the nearest bookshelf or table to examine its contents.
3. Crafts – It all started with scrapbooking (which I don’t have the time to do anymore, unfortunately) and has moved to making birthday decorations, sewing (usually blankets) and occasional painting. For the life of me though, I cannot learn to crochet! I’ve tried watching videos and following along but for whatever reason I just cannot do it. I’m taking my first paint class next week with a group of friends and am excited to see the outcome!
4. Wine – Not just drinking it! For the past couple of years we have ventured into making our own batches of wine via kits. It’s kind of like a little science experiment in our basement, haha! We live in a region that has a ton of wineries and we love being able to stop in to one on occasion for a tasting. One of our absolute favorites is Goose Watch out of Cayuga Lake, NY. They have a tasting room in Lake Placid that we are sure to stop in every time we’re there. If you’re into sweeter wines their Red Fox is to die for!
5. Volleyball – I played for a few years in High School and now currently get to play every Thursday evening during the school year on a women’s league. My team is made up mostly of Wives from Travis’ work and we’re not all that great (our team name is Hit or Miss if that’s any indication) but it’s fun to get out and do something different and spend some time with girlfriends each week.
1. My Family – not trying to be cliché here but after hard long days in law enforcement, it’s great to come home to family who makes me laugh and smile .
2. Sports – Whether playing or watching, I absolutely love sports. Favorite teams include the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers. I’m also passionate about the Olympics.
3. Hunting – I know all may not agree with this activity but I was raised around hunting, taught to respect the outdoors and wildlife and ultimately developed a passion for it I hope to pass down to my son and daughter. My goal is simply food for my family, not trophies, but I sure would love a big wall hanger!
4. Video Games – I might be a husband and father of two, but I am definitely a product of the video game generation – NES, Sega, GameCube, PlayStation and Xbox. Video games are still my guilty pleasure and Call of Duty is still my favorite. My newest pleasure will arrive on November 6th.
5. Campfires – With how crazy life gets, sometimes it’s nice to slow down and roast a marshmallow with friends and family.
What’s the last book you read?
Have a great weekend!